Automated Mail Preparation Services include:
- Document insertion using Optical Mark Recognition and Optical Character Recognition for document matching and selective inserting with 100% document insertion integrity (see Development Services for more information);
- Document folding;
- Inkjet labeling of envelope or products;
- Self-mailer production.
Manual Mail Preparation Services are available to process Mail Preparation jobs that cannot be mechanically inserted. Services include:
- Gum labeling;
- Insert folding;
- Inserting into envelopes, boxes or tubes;
- Sealing of envelopes or boxes;
- Matching personalized items.
BC Mail Plus uses a combination of high speed, mechanical processing equipment, and private sector contractors to meet customers' bulk mail preparation requirements for volume mailings. Services include folding, inserting, inkjet addressing, incentive rate preparation, and self-mailer applications. Private sector suppliers provide manual preparation on a contract basis.
Customers requiring Mail Preparation Services will be assigned a Production Planner (MPPP) who works with the customer to coordinate their Mail Preparation job.
The knowledgeable Production Planner:
- Recommends cost effective methods to process Mail Preparation jobs;
- Ensures that the customer takes advantage of all Canada Post incentive rates;
- Monitors the Mail Preparation job from document development through to mail distribution.
Production Planners are responsible for the planning and coordination of customer mail preparation jobs. Each coordinator is assigned a number of ministries within customer portfolios. These planners work in close cooperation with customers, Queen’s Printer staff and private sector printers, where printing jobs are produced.
Production Planners coordinate all activities surrounding a mail preparation job, which may also include the use of address data manipulation services, preparation of merge documents, address verification and correction, incentive rate preparation, scanning, print stream manipulation, job costing, and customer billing.
Production staff of Mail Preparation Services work with the Production Planners in prioritizing the work, establishing deadlines and schedules in accordance with customer requirements, and the processing and quality control of individual mail preparation jobs.
Mail Preparation Services and Specifications
Our Mail Preparation Services are designed to help you with all your large or small mailing needs. Our Mailing Preparation section mechanically labels, folds, and inserts at very high speed. If your mailing includes items too large for our mechanical inserters, we will insert your mail items by hand.
We have folders and machines that fold and insert.
12,000 items per hour
3" x 4" minimum size
11" x 17" maximum size
Self Mailer Capabilities:
Save the envelope! Use our self mailers.
12,000 per hour
8" x 11" minimum
8" x 14" maximum
Send us your list by disk, electronically, or use our Mailing List Services. If your mailing is over 5,000 addresses, let us run your list through our Address Accuracy software to determine if you qualify for a lower postage rate.
10,000 items per hour
3" x 5" minimum size
10" x 13" maximum size
Mechanical Inserting Capabilities:
Let our machines do the work. We have many machines to help get your job in the mail fast.
5,000 items hourly per machine
3" x 5" minimum size envelope
4 1/8" x 9 1/2" maximum size envelope
6 items inserted simultaneously
We have the ability to burst continuous forms.
This machine provides you with the capability of marking your mail with OMR (Optical Mark Recognition) marking for automated sorting or selective inserting.
Payment of Postage
Volume mailings may qualify for discounted rates based on specific size, weight, and preparation criteria (address accuracy and sorting). Call our Production Planning staff to determine how to qualify your mailing.
Accessing our Services
Mail Preparation Services are located in Victoria. However, customers outside Victoria can still take advantage of our services.
Call your Production Planner to determine the best method of shipping your job to our Victoria facility.
- Large mailings have to be scheduled with Canada Post five days in advance.
- Call us before designing or updating forms to ensure that they meet Canada Post and BC Mail Plus standards.
- Please provide us with a sample of your job so we can perform a preliminary test of our processing equipment.
- Call your Production Planner for Service Request forms.
All mail preparation jobs require a Service Request. Complete the Service Request by following these instructions.